Monday 9 April 2012

Easter Buns with a cross.

  I have been planning on making Hot Cross buns on Easter Sunday for a while now. Got all the ingredients out, about to get it started when I realised I didn't have any yeast! After a bit of a panic, and some help from my Facebook friends, I trooped out of the house in the hope for some open shops where I could find bread yeast. After 3 no lucks, I have finally found some on the Petrol station shop!! Success!
So here is what I've done:


Ingredients:
210ml milk
1 egg
450g white bread flour
1 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
50g caster sugar
50g butter
1 1/2 tsp fast action dried yeast
125g mixed fruit (the currants, sultanas and orange peel mix)


For the crosses:
50g plain flour
25g margarine


For the glaze:
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp sugar


I have done the dough in the bread machine because I was doing other things at the same time but you can make it by hand.
I have selected the dough raisin setting and added the mixed fruit when it beeped, 5 min before the end of the kneading process so they don't get to mushy.
When is finished, place the dough on to a floured surface, knock it back, and divide it into 12 pieces. Shape them into balls, and place on to two lightly greased baking sheets.





Cover with oiled cling film and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 min or until double in size.
 I took them to my bedroom so Cookie (the cat) could look after them :D
After a while, turn the oven on to 200 degrees C / gas 6, and make the pastry crosses. Rub the flour on to the margarine, bind with enough water to make  a soft pastry that can be pipped. Spoon it into a piping bag. I have used a very small plastic bag and made a hole in the corner.
Pipe a cross (or any other shape) on each bun and bake for about 15 min or until golden brown. 





Heat the milk and sugar until dissolved, and brush the glaze on to the buns while they are hot.





                       All done! enjoy! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment